A new program with Lighten Up Meditation will be launching in December!
Come to a free meditation class to find out more.
Our meditation classes offer a new opportunity for self-discovery each week in San Francisco and Sunnyvale - including Gratitude Meditations and a Food Drive all November long! Check out our calendar for the dates and details
. We're headed towards the Winter Solstice now - it's time to pick up the pace in your practice!
Want to know more? Learn about the benefits of meditation
and discover the basics of how it works
- and check out the Lighten Up blog
for occasional articles about integrating a practical spirituality into your life.
Our meditation classes are fun, fast & easy—why not check one out?
Meditation is one of those things... You've heard that it's beneficial and can make you healthier or less stressed or whatever, but it sounds stuffy... even boring. But it's totally not! Attend one of our INTRO TO MEDITATION
classes in Sunnyvale and learn how to meditate using a really simple, and even exciting, and especially straightforward meditation technique that you'll actually want to do
every day. Meditation does not have to be difficult or painful. You don't need to twist yourself into a pretzel on the floor to do it, either! Come check out the way that we meditate and see for yourself how meditation can change your life!
Meditation in the media... and other fun stuff
The Lighten Up blog also has periodic postings about meditation and self-discovery in our modern age.
- Do You Meditate? - the experience of a new student at a Lighten Up class last year, June 12, 2013
- What if Age Is Nothing but a Mind-Set?, New York Times, October 26, 2014
- Mindfulness and Yoga Help Veterans with PTSD, Washington Post, October 16, 2014
- Mindfulness Training Benefits U.S. Veterans with Diabetes, American Associate of Diabetes Educators, August 10, 2014
- How Super [Music] Producer Rick Rubin Gets People To Do Their Best Work, Forbes, April 28, 2014
- ‘Mindfulness’ gives stressed-out bankers something to think about, Financial Times, May 4, 2014
- 8 Wonderful Psychological Effects of Being Compassionate (but actually it's touting the benefits of meditation), PsyBlog, February 6, 2014
- Actress Goldie Hawn gets Davos meditating (article) and Davos 2014: Actress Goldie Hawn leads meditation class (video), BBC, January 23, 2014 (see additional article from 2012 posted below: Goldie Hawn's Anti-Aging Secrets)
- Zen And The Art Of Snowboarding: Jamie Anderson Goes To Sochi, NPR, January 22, 2014 (Olympic hopeful hugs trees before her rides!)
- Is meditation the perfect antidote to our tech-filled lives?, The Sydney Morning Herald, January 14, 2014
- Meditation transforms roughest San Francisco schools, San Francisco Chronicle, January 12, 2014
- For Depression Treatment, Meditation Might Rival Medication, Forbes, January 7, 2014
- Reduce Stress with Mindfulness - at work, Harvard Business Review, November 21, 2013
- The Big Chill Out: How Meditation Can Help with Everything, Fast Company, May 16, 2013
- The Morality of Meditation, New York Times, July 7, 2013
- Even Brief Meditation Can Improve Student Performance, Psych Central, April 10, 2013
- Mindfulness and meditation training could ease PTSD symptoms, researchers say, Washington Post, February 18, 2013
- A neural basis for benefits of meditation, Brown University, February 13, 2013 (via the awesome Annie Murphy Paul and her Brilliance Blog: Meditation Tunes the Brain's "Volume Knob")
- How Does a Mindful Practice Do Anything?, Huffington Post blog, February 6, 2013
- Mindfulness Meditation Primes Brain to Appreciate Music, PsychCentral, January 31, 2013
- The Power of Concentration, The New York Times, December 15, 2012
- Goldie Hawn's Anti-Aging Secrets, omg! from Yahoo!, November 30, 2012
- Meditation’s positive residual effects: Imaging finds different forms of meditation may affect brain structure, HarvardScience, November 13, 2012
- Meditation reduces loneliness in seniors (study finds benefits to the immunse system, too), UCLA Newsroom, August 14, 2012
- Reading, Writing And Character The new push to teach perseverance, self-control, and mindfulness at school. NPR's OnPoint with Tom Ashbrook, August 7, 2012
- Meditation in... politics?!? In meditative mindfulness, Rep. Tim Ryan (not to be confused with Paul Ryan) sees a cure for many American ills, Washington Post, April 4, 2012
- Meditation for Headache Relief, Everyday Health, February 21, 2012
- Eat, Smoke, Meditate: Why Your Brain Cares How You Cope, Forbes, September 21, 2011
- Optimism Associated With Lower Risk of Having Stroke, Science Daily, July 22, 2011
- 'Turn Down the Volume': Meditation may help the brain reduce distractions, HarvardScience, April 22, 2011
Lighten Up Meditation offers classes in Silicon Valley and San Francisco. If you're curious about meditation, now's the time to find out more! Come learn how to meditate, Bay Area! Meditation is simple and fun and it can radically change your life. With the technique you'll learn at one of our San Francisco "how to meditate" classes, you'll be up and running in no time! Establishing consistency with meditation — doing it every day — can bring changes to your life remarkably fast. Meditation is just like working out: the results build the more you do it. Learn how to meditate
in Sunnyvale or at our new San Francisco location at one of our free Intro to Meditation classes, and then join our ongoing meditation group (also free! see location info here
). Meditating with a group can be especially powerful, and we happen to have an especially motivated group! You'll find lots of fun people looking to change their lives through meditation at these classes. If you're anywhere in the Bay Area and ready to learn to meditate, please come to our free meditation classes to see if you like what we do — we'd love to have you!